Sunday, December 6, 2009

Strike That Reverse It

I have been living without a landline phone since July 2002, that is until yesterday. Michael and I decided that we should have an old-fashioned telephone in our home as a safety mechanism for emergency calls in case our nanny doesn't have a cellphone, forgets her cellphone, or in case our cellphones are not working. I was thoroughly excited for our new hook-up since it also meant that I could call my friends living abroad. However, just  I was enjoying the warm company of our friend Gene while eating some of Michael's delicious boeuf bourguignon with the cable man working on our upgrade, I learned about whole new world of telephone calls: Google Voice. Google Voice (GV), formerly GrandCentral, is a free (of course) Internet VoIP service that started in March '09. It is still invitation only, but our kind friend Gene sent me an invite. In sum: it's fantastic! It looks and feels just like gmail, but for making phone calls. Also, I was able to pick out my own GV phone number which closely resembles my mobile number that I've had for years. The great thing about GV is that calls to Canada are free (!) and calls to France are only .02 a minute. And I have activated my cell phone and new landline into my GV account which means that I can use either device for making calls. I'll probably only use my mobile phone since I'm completely unused to having a regular phone around. Anyway, once I have accumulated some invitations I'll send 'em out per request (US only, at this point).

2 comments:

melissa said...

google voice sounds interesting -- please send me an invite!

we have a land line, but never use it. the worst thing about it is verizon charges $2.50 a month to be UNLISTED. naturally we don't want to pay that, so we get a ton of telemarketers calling -- so basically we never answer the phone. but it's sort of nice to know it's there, in case of emergency.

Lorie said...

Now you have no excuses!

We have a land line too, although I don't think we need it. Extra numbers to memorize and voicemail to check is too much of a hassle.